Frequently Asked Questions

We Have The Answers You Need

Can I pay my bill online?

Yes, on the top right is a blue button ‘PAY A BILL” there is a 3%  fee imposed by Access Idaho. These are not charges of the city.

Do you take credit card payments?

Yes, we do. There is a 3% charge for each transaction by Access Idaho. These are not charges of the city.

How do I file a complaint about barking, loose, or nuisance dogs?

Please visit the city hall, and we will assist you in the reporting process. Please note, we will require an official statement.

Why is my water bill so high?

An unusually high water bill may be the result of a missed payment, a leak (either on the city side of the meter, the meter itself, or on the property owner side), or the water meter was read later in the month than intended. Please stop by, or call City Hall, and we will gladly assist you.

When and where are City Council agendas posted for the public?

City Council agendas are approved on the Friday preceding the Tuesday City Council meeting.  After this approval process the agenda will then be, along with posting on our website, posted on the main door of City Hall.

Can I burn within City Limits?

Yes, with limitations. Only weeds, and vegetation, the City, as well as the Custer County Sheriff’s Office, must be contacted prior to burning, adequate fire suppression equipment must be available, and make sure no burn ban is in effect. For additional information, please visit the City Code Section of this website.

How often are City Council meetings held?

City Council meetings are held on the second Tuesday of each month at 7:00pm. If a Tuesday happens to be a holiday, city election, or primary/general election, the meeting would then be held the following Wednesday.

May I get copies of previous agendas and minutes?

Yes, you may. Minutes are posted under the “Stay Informed” tab or you may obtain copies by contacting the City Clerk at (208) 879-2386.

Am I able to pay more on my water/sewer bill because I will be out of town for an extended period of time?

Yes, we will apply any amount over the actual cost of service as a credit to your account. Our Utility Billing Clerk would be happy to calculate average costs as to avoid late fees.

I haven't seen a water/sewer bill in a while?

There could be several reasons for this. First, you may have a credit on your account, so no bill would be due. Second, you moved, and did not leave a forwarding address. Third, the Postal Service lost the bill (they are small, and sometimes have trouble going through the sorting machines at the post office). When in doubt, please stop by, or call City Hall, and we will gladly assist you.

May I testify at a Public Hearing?

Yes, you may. The hearing process is designed to alert City leaders to public concerns. You may ask questions and, or testify either in favor of, or in opposition to the project. If you decide to speak, you will have three (3) minutes to do so.

My child's class would like to attend a City Council meeting, can they just show up for the meeting?

Yes, they can. All meetings of the City Council are open for anyone to attend. If they wish, they may contact the City Clerk prior to the meeting to ensure available seating. If not reasonable accommodation will be made. The City Clerk may be reached at (208) 879-2386.

My neighbor received a notice of Public Hearing from the City of Challis regarding a change to a property next to our subdivision, why didn't I receive a notice also?

Public Hearing notices are sent to property owners, or purchasers of record (as listed in the current records of the Custer County Assessor) owning property within three hundred feet (300′) of the property being considered. This noticing is extended to property owners within one thousand feet (1000′) of the external property boundaries if the application involves heavy industries and, or wireless communication facilities.